Monday 14 June 2010

Those faces...









My sole reason to sit among these children is to learn what goes on in their mind. What causes them to grow up so fast and look at this world through those oceanic abyss eyes?


Last Saturday on Anti Child Labour day, I was once again among them. Almost all those faces were new for me, but within 2 hours they become so close that I can close my eyes and those stark faces will be right in front my eyes.


I first looked towards him when whole bunch of children started shouting his name. They all wanted him to come in front and dance. They all, except him, claimed that he was a very good dancer. I asked him to come up front and perform with other children, but he politely pulled himself back, whispering that he is not a good dancer.


The other face sat right beside me. When the group decided that we will start the event with introduction by all the kids one by one. All of them came in front one after another and told us their name. We shouted their name, when they were returning to their places. We saw a sense of belonging floating on their faces.


During this whole time, he was pulling my hand and trying to pull my attention. His face was full of heat rash pimples. He didn’t want to wait for his chance and wanted to stand and shout his name.


The girl right beside me on the other side was one of the liveliest faces I have seen. I was not bewildered when she came in front after Introduction and sang 3 nursery rhymes one after other. I also observed that far from one end of the field, her mother calling her to fetch water bucket.


A day with them, singing, drawing and building a ‘Shiksha ki train’, was indeed a very different and inspirational for all of them.


At the end of these activities, while we were distributing the drawing among the kids, He came towards me. I didn’t pay attention to him until he pulled my hand. He was the 8 year kid with heat rashs on his face. I bowed down to listen to him as there were kids shouting and still enjoying ‘Shiksha ki train’ all around us. It was difficult to hear his whisper, one I understood him clearly he was asking “when you will come for taking me to school.” I was wrong, it was not a whisper it was thundering and determined voice.


After wrapping up the activities, when we all were coming out through the narrow lanes of this community, many of these children accompanied us till the end of the community. He came running parallel to me and said, “You know, I will dance when you come here next time. I am good dancer” He shook hand with me and taught me a brand new way to shake hand.


At the end I came back with lots of those faces in front my eyes and ample unanswered question.

4 comments:

  1. I'd like to share something similar. A little girl in a red salwar kameez (AND dupatta),two neat braids, not more than 5 years old, tugged my kurta and said to me, "main bhi school jaoongi."

    So many people in that community came up to us on that day and said, Build a School here and all these children will be able to get educated.

    Lets find a way to take this message to the TMC and find out what can be done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krishna very well Written.
    I still remember the boy named Akshay Kumar & was very keen to go to the school.There are really plenty of things to be done & what we have done makes us more responsible cause now their expectations have been increased.
    Guys lets focus on this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are right,Divya. His name was Akshay Kumar. :)
    What a kid he was!!!
    In fact, Havovi also met that kid and he asked the same question to her as well.

    We are at last stage to enroll all these children to school. Let's work on this and make this a success and save their future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure Krishna Its our goal & we'll definitelly do it.

    This Boy is very keen to go to the school.
    I know I was there when he asked "When are you coming to take us to the school?"

    I still remember his twinkling eyes.

    ReplyDelete